Mesothelioma Help

A place where mesothelioma victims can go to discover medical resources and the latest breaking news related to mesothelioma. The purpose of this blog is not to provide legal advice but rather to provide information to mesothelioma victims and their families concerning the latest mesothelioma infomation . If you need legal help concerning mesothelioma you can contact me at cplacitella@cprlaw.com or visit our website at www.cprlaw.com. Thank You

My Photo
Name:
Location: Red Bank, NJ

I have dedicated my law practice for the last 25 years to the wrongfully injured and their families. The purpose of this blog is not to provide legal advice. If you need legal help you can contact me at cplacitella@cprlaw.com or visit our website at www.cprlaw.com. Thank You

Friday, April 07, 2006

Heating firm took my health

A former city factory worker who believes he developed cancer after being exposed to asbestos has launched a legal battle against his former employers.Russell Yaxley was struck down by severe breathing difficulties in October 2005 and rushed for an emergency operation to remove fluid from the outside of his lungs.The 78-year-old grandfather was informed he has mesothelioma, an incurable form of lung cancer which is usually brought on by exposure to asbestos.Mr Yaxley is now bringing a legal action against Heatrae Sadia Heating Ltd, whose Norwich factory he worked at between 1942 and 1946.A writ submitted to the High Court in London claims he was exposed to asbestos dust and fibre while working for the company at its old factory in St George's Street.His claim for damages includes an amount for pain, suffering and loss of amenity. Mr Yaxley, born and brought up in Norwich, who now lives in Peterborough, said the cancer had taken a heavy toll.The former school caretaker said: “I've been out and about all my life and then suddenly I can't walk 50 yards without collapsing.“During my National Service after the war, I was a fitness instructor because I liked running around so much.”Mr Yaxley used to live in South Park Avenue, Norwich, and attended the Alderman Jex boys' school in Constitution Hill.He added: “I would have loved to go back to that school if it is still there and see what it looks like. I won't have the opportunity to do that now that I am spending every day in agony and on morphine.“Hetrae Sadia was my first job and I was there from 1942 to 1946.“I feel very bitter towards the company now; I always liked my independence and was very active until this happened just before Christmas.“I used to do so much and make toys. I was really happy, then all of a sudden I am dreading every day. I don't want any sympathy, everyone has an ending and this is mine.”Asbestos was widely used in the building and heating industries until the serious health-effects were realised. It is made up of tiny fibres which work their way into the lungs and damage cells.Mr Yaxley's wife Mavis, 60, who has had to give up her job as a cook to look after her husband, added: “We used to go for lovely drives to the coast together, but now that's not possible any more. Russell can't even go up the stairs by himself because he is afraid of falling over due to his trouble breathing. It's awful to see your husband in such a terrible state.”Nobody from Heatrae Sadia was prepared to comment on the case.Legal battle for compensation:A man who has developed an asbestos-related illness has launched a legal battle for compensation of up to £200,000.Robert Hartley has contracted mesothelioma, a cancer of the tissues surrounding his lungs or abdomen, according to a writ issued at London's High Court and just made publicly available.Now, Mr Hartley, of Cookes House, Bergh Apton, is claiming damages from the Laird Group plc.He developed the cancer after being exposed to deadly asbestos dust and fibres when he worked for the company at its shipyard, in Birkenhead, between 1944 and 1949, the writ claims.Although the writ does not specify the level of compensation sought, it indicates that lawyers value the claim, if successful, at up to £200,000.Ü Has your life been affected by exposure to asbestos? Call Alasdair McGregor at the Evening News on (01603) 772443 or email al.mcgregor@archant.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home